Sometimes ideas come from:
- something I hear on the news,
- an article about a fantastical discovery, a new theory, or something strange,
- a snippet of an overheard conversation
- a place I happen to visit,
- a road sign,
- the name of a place,
- the characters in my books,
- my dreams and nightmares,
- the weather,
- a scent,
- or some crazy combination of things.
I now have an idea, actually a couple of pages of notes, for a Christmas story. It needs to be outlined and fleshed out, but the idea is on paper. Unfortunately, it won't be ready for this Christmas, but I hope to have it ready for Christmas 2015.
A couple of weeks ago, we were on a drive. I jotted down several names of dry creeks and roads that made the wheels in my head turning with a possible series idea. I'm not sure where or when I will actually use the names, but they are safe in my ideas book, along with my growing list of possible character names.
I always have a notepad and pens with me, because I never know when an idea or inspiration is going to hit me.